Last week the Association of Small Towns Water Supply Systems said in a statement that they do not intend to heed Government’s directive for free provision of water to people due to huge debts owed by Government to members of the Association. The directive for free water provision by agencies and partners of Government was part of efforts in response to the COVID-19 pandemic to both help communities keep safe and also to lessen the dire economic hardship brought about by the pandemic.
According to Ghanaweb, Engineer Worlanyo Kwadjo Siabi cleared the air that the CWSA remains committed to paying all outstanding debts owed these water suppliers but the difficulty is the inconsistencies in the gathering of their records particularly the number of cubic metres of water supplied among other valid data that are missing in staking their claims on the monies.
“While others presented very scanty data on the free water services they have provided, other suppliers were not even sure about how much water they have even provided but yet quoted questionable amount of money and demanded payment,” he explained.
The Community Water and Sanitation Agency (CWSA) was established by an Act of Parliament, Act 564 of 1998 mandated to facilitate the provision of safe drinking water and related sanitation services to Rural Communities and Small Towns in Ghana. It also deals with sanitation and its related hygiene standards.
Read full story on Ghanaweb here.
- Press Statement: In the Era of COVID-19, Government Should Ensure that All Public Sector Agencies Pay Debts Owed to the Ghana Water Company Limited – Water Citizens Network
- Government Should Pay Its Water Bills to Ensure Reliable Water Supply and Solvency of GWCL – Coordinator of Tax Justice Coalition Ghana
- Dr. Alexander Ampaabeng, Fiscal Policy Specialist at Oxfam Ghana Calls on Government to Pay its Water Bills – Video
- Week on Water For Development (WW4D) Conference Commences Today
- #GovernmentPayYourWaterBills – CWSA says it remains committed to paying water suppliers after update and validation of data